1840: Huge political rally for the Southern Whig Party brought an estimated 8000 mountaineers to the Cumberland Gap. Senator John J. Crittenden opened the multi-day meeting. Many attendees set up camps in the Yellow Creek Valley.
1890: The L & N Railroad posted its first railroad timetable for Middlesborough meaning that for the first time there was finally reliable transportation from Bell County to most areas of the country.
1900: Four day fair and carnival began with a show of stock and agricultural products. A new ½ mile track and new grandstands had been built at the fairgrounds and special events included balloon ascensions and parachute drops. The Lantry house (originally built on Cumberland Ave. for the famed English actress Lilly Lantry) was used as an exhibition hall.
1926: For the first time in the history of Bell County, a woman served as a voter registration official. Mrs. D. G. Hinks, who was active in the League of Women Voters, was in charge of the “women’s book” at Central Precinct in Middlesboro. She urged all women to exercise their recently won right to vote.
1955: Final land transactions were received in Washington, D.C. and the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park was officially established.
1965: Fire struck Smith Electric and Dixie Dollar Store in downtown Middlesboro. Fire Departments from Pineville, Tazewell and Knoxville responded to a call for help.