1889: The Opera House in Middlesborough was completed and opened the season with the comedy “Culpepper.”
1893: The American Association went into receivership (bankruptcy).
1903: Patrons drinking at the bar of the Keg House were horrified to find blood dripping on them from the ceiling.Upstairs they found Alice Lamb, known as the “Queen of the Rhine,” dead, her head almost completely severed from her body.
1918: The Elks made their home on Cumberland Avenue in Middlesboro available to Bell County residents suffering from the Spanish Influenza (an epidemic that was killing thousands in the U.S). Volunteers were solicited to serve as nurses and prepare food.
1924: John Philip Sousa and his band played to a full house at the Manring Theatre.
1953: UMWA officials broke ground for a new hospital in Middlesboro to be called the Miners’ Hospital (now called the Appalachian Regional Hospital).