1889: The banking house of T. L. Bird and Company bought a two story building at the corner of 20th and Cumberland Ave. It was the first banking house in Middlesborough and started in a 6’ by 10’ shack with a counter of rough boards. 1920: The Tannery has 500 employees.
1930: The Boy Scouts of Bell County are collecting old toys and repairing them in order to provide Christmas for the less fortunate.
1944: T/Sgt. James Templin Easton has been cited by the English government for ground support during the invasion of the Greek Islands. He is already the recipient of many honors including the Distingished Flying Cross with eight oak leave clusters, and Presidential Unit Citation. He has completed 72 air missions.
1948: Announcement that the contract has been let for replacing the five bridges over the canal on Cumberland Ave. near the American Association Building. These were constructed in 1890. Two bridges were for vehicular traffic, two for pedestrians and one for the street railroad.