1775: The earliest record of land being taken on Yellow Creek. Mr. Bryce Martin entered a claim for 500 acres “lying on the first creek after crossing Cumberland Gap northward.”
1893: The Christian Church at Chester and 23rd Street was dedicated.
1898: School was about to open, having been closed three months due to the smallpox epidemic. Churches were also expected to reopen within the week. Jailer Frank Cecil was reported to be doing good work with the gang of prisoners who were doing time for having crossed the quarantine line.
1903: The Epworth Hospital opened.
1916: The annual cleanup campaign began with the reminder: “Little beds of flowers Little cans of paint Make homes attractive Out of them that ain’t”
1922: There was a complete shutdown of mines in this area with a total of 1500 men in 10 mines out. The Circuit Court room was packed with 600 striking miners who had gathered to hear board members of the UMA.
1925: Anderson Indian Remedies Company was launched to make medicines in Middlesboro.
1934: The Bell County Poor Farm was abolished. The property had consisted of six acres near the entrance to the Pine Mountain State Park (present location of golf course).
1937: Floyd and Alva Ball bought the Wabash Hotel on Lothbury Ave. for $35,000. The three story building had 26 rooms. On the ground floor were a bar and restaurant as well as the Middlesboro Wholesale Liquor Company.
1958: The former Grace Nettleton Home for Girls in Harrogate was destroyed by fire. It was originally built as part of the Four Seasons resort complex and then in 1900 turned into a home for orphan girls.